Friday, November 27, 2015

Meeting the Toyman

23rd November  2015

This last three days since I emailed has been pretty interesting

But Yesterday was probably my favorite.

While we were out knocking on people's doors we came across this Oldish man working out in his shed. We called out to him and he came out and said, I am an absolute Atheist and I don't want to hear anything about what you have to say. instead of doing the normal "OK have a good day" I just started talking to him, and my opening line was this... "Well We know you aren't interested in what we have to share, and we know it's a little unfair of us that we come to your door and expect you to listen to what we are interested in, how about we listen to what you are interested in, like those things with wood." And from there we got to know more about the Toy Man. After asking where I got my salesman skills and my answer McDonald's he said "You know what I'll go there every day now" Hopefully he meant it as a joke, because I would not prescribe Mcdonalds for a diet.

But After a long lengthy discussion and a few doctrinal topics thrown in here and there, (And after a game of Towers of Hanoi) he told us that we were good men and if we needed a reference to come and find him if he was still around. As well as that, he gave us a Good-Luck Dragon, and a game each ( I Got the Towers of Hanoi and Elder Acevedo got Last Man Standing)

Overall it was a great encounter, definitely going to keep him in mind for the future.

So Basically, As a missionary I have learnt that the best way to get to know someone is... To focus on them, and try not to think about your own personal experiences

(Pretty Keen on the sales man Idea though)

Elder Jackson Fankhauser.

No comments:

Post a Comment